Food & Drink

A perfect pairing: Maker’s Mark & full-bodied cigars

Reading Time: 2 minutes

By Bob “The Reverend Hurricane” Meyn

Being from New Orleans, it’s only natural that I typically enjoy a beverage (and usually an adult one) while smoking a cigar. But like many of us who have our “go-to” cigars, I also have my “go-to” drink: Maker’s Mark Bourbon.

Maker’s Mark is easily recognized by the hand-dipped red wax coating on the top of each bottle. The recipe of Maker’s Mark also makes it particularly good pairing for most cigars. By law, bourbon must have an initial mash (the stuff that starts the fermentation process when mixed with yeast) of at least 51% corn. Most bourbons use a combination of more corn, rye and wheat to make up the remaining 49%. Maker’s Mark differentiates itself and produces its characteristic flavor by using a very particular wheat, red winter wheat, in place of the rye as its flavor grain. This substitution gives Maker’s Mark a slightly sweeter taste with much less spice than typical bourbon.

Now, Maker’s Mark is not the most complex or most expensive bourbon available, but the flavor profile of the drink produced by the winter wheat substitution is what makes it a perfect cigar accompaniment for me. Maker’s rather “simple” profile doesn’t overtake the flavor of the cigar I’m smoking the way more “complex” bourbons like Pappy Van Winkle or Bookers can.

I typically smoke very flavorful, full-bodied cigars: Nicaraguan Habanos (from FSS), Oliva Serie V, and Tatuaje Cojuno, that bring more than an ample supply of spice and punch, so I don’t want more of those flavors coming from my beverage. For my palette, the sweetness and simplicity of Maker’s enhances the smoke’s flavor rather than masks it. As a corollary, if I’m smoking a milder cigar such as a CAO Gold, I tend to pair that cigar with a more complex bourbon to add to the flavor profile of the smoke-drink combination. In other words, (and this is strictly for bourbons), the more flavorful the cigar, the less complex bourbon makes the better match, and vice versa.

How to best pair a drink and cigar is certainly a matter of personal taste, but if you try the general guidelines of how I pair different styles of bourbons with cigars, I think you’ll find that you’ll enjoy the particular cigar you’re smoking just a bit more.

This article, which originally posted on October 18, 2010, has been updated.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Gary Korb

Gary Korb

Executive Editor

Gary Korb has been writing and editing content for since its debut in 2008. An avid cigar smoker for over 30 years, he has worked on the marketing side of the premium cigar business as a Sr. Copywriter, blogger, and Executive Editor of Cigar Advisor. A graduate of the Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University, prior to his career in the cigar business, Gary worked in the music and video industry as a marketer and a publicist.

Show all Gary Korb's Articles
cigar advisor news – foundation ships charter oak pegnataro & pasquale cigars – release – cover

Cigar News: Foundation Ships Charter Oak Pegnataro & Pasquale Cigars

Reading Time: 2 minutes It’s all in the family for these new Charter Oak CT releases that pay homage to Nicholas Melillo’s grandfathers, Pegnataro and Pasquale, who ignited the Foundation Cigar Co. founder’s passion for Connecticut cigars. Read all about it here.

Read More
cigar advisor how long it takes to make a cigar - cover

How Long Does it Take to Make a Premium Cigar?

Reading Time: 6 minutes How long does it take to make a cigar? It’s an easy question with a complicated answer. Managing Editor, John Pullo takes you from seed to shelf covering every process along the way, plus a short video!

Read More
cigar advisor news - diesel releases fool’s errand simple fool with interactive game – release - cover

Cigar News: Diesel Releases Second Fool’s Errand Cigar, ‘Simple Fool,’ With Interactive Game

Reading Time: 2 minutes Two down, one more to go, Diesel Cigars will ship Simple Fool, the second Diesel Fool’s Errand trilogy release in March. The Nicaraguan-forward cigar will also be introduced with a collectible tarot card that opens an interactive game. Learn more here.

Read More
Cigar advisor master blenders podcast interview francisco batista agio caribbean tobacco royal agio cigars Cigar Advisor Cover

Master Blenders: Francisco Batista of Royal Agio Cigars

Reading Time: 2 minutes In this audio podcast, Dominican Republic native, Francisco Batista, talks to Gary Korb about his gig as General Manager and Premium Cigar Master Blender for Agio Caribbean Tobacco, whose brands include Royal Agio Cigars’ highly-acclaimed Balmoral and San Pedro de Macoris cigars. Click and listen now!

Read More