Q: This weekend, while recharging my humidor, I found a small beetle crawling along the inner lip of my box. I haven’t been able to find any holes in my cigars, but I am at a loss of what to do next. I read online that freezing the cigars should solve it, but how should I go about this without damaging my cigars?
– Cassio in Long Island City, NY
A: Freezing won’t damage your cigars if you do it right. Don’t take chances with beetles. You may not see holes now, but to be safe follow these instructions:
- CAREFULLY place all of your remaining cigars in a Ziploc-type FREEZER bag.
- Try to get as much air out of the bag as possible first.
- Place the cigars in the freezer overnight.
- In the morning move them to the fridge. You want a SLOW thaw.
By evening you can take them out of the fridge, but don’t place them back in the humidor until you’re certain it’s been disinfected.